Author Topic: Lacecap Hydranger  (Read 2380 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Lacecap Hydranger
« on: November 23, 2004, 14:05:09 »
I have a fully grown lacecap hydranger in the front garden.  I have worked out that it will flower on last years growth so I need to prune out the flowering heads to have flowers the year after next.  Only problem is I  cant find out when it is best to prune, after flowering or next spring?
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re:Lacecap Hydranger
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 15:21:16 »
I prune in the spring.

2 reasons, the heads look good through the winter and do provide some frost protection to buds lower down in the plant.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 16:04:26 »
Yup, I have a lace cap and spring prune.  I love the look of them during the winter, still all plump and really prefer to leave 'deadheading' until the bush has started to grow again otherwise you are left with a rather unattractive bunch of twigs!

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 16:06:11 »
Definitely in the spring.  If you prune now the dormant buds down the stems will be encouraged to start into growth by any spell of mild weather, and a sharp frost could then kill them back.

I tried autumn pruning by way of experiment some years ago, and found many of the bushes got killed back virtually to ground level.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 16:06:42 by Hugh_Jones »

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 17:09:13 »
The plant in question was looking very sorry for itself 2 years ago when we moved in here.  I decided to give it a good mulch and hack it back to a stump.. Didnt flower first year but put on loads and loads of growth, but this summer it was spectacular.  So thanks to all your good advice it should continue to look a stunner.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal