Author Topic: Hp Pavillion overheating!  (Read 1967 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Hp Pavillion overheating!
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:40 »
Apparfently Hp Pavillion Laptops are well known for over heating.  Wish I knew this when I got it.

It is nearly two years old so I would imagine it is out of warranty.  It has overheated from day one and finally gave up the ghost the over day.

I was told that the problem is most likely the graphics card as a result of the overheating and was advised not to waste the £100 repairing it as overheating will continue.

Has anyone had any success in getting Hp to resolve the problem and is repairing it really worth it?

I wonder if there is any comsumer rights legislation protecting consumers from poorly put together products that do not live up to what they should do?

Any help would be great.  Thanks in anticipation  :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Hp Pavillion overheating!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:54:52 »
Dont have a great deal of experience with HP lappies but quite often the cause can be a simple build up of dust on the fan intakes.
Sometimes it is easy to take the keyboard out and give everything a good blast of canned air but if in your case something has now popped then that wont do much good.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/726426-solved-hp-pavilion-dv6000-overheating.html

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Hp+Pavillion+overheating&meta= you are not alone but as the lappie lasted two years I dont think you will get much from HP unless you have a three years warantee.

As to a repair...You dont have a graphics card as such on a laptop - just a chipset on the motherboard and virtually no one replaces chipsets - they just do the whole motherboard which is still a fiddly job at the best of times - £100 wouldn't be over the top for such a job.  You have to ask yourself if you are throwing good money after bad and if you still have the overheating issue.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:20:21 »
I use my son's old laptop - 10yr old Sony - and it has been overheating and could only work on it for 10mins at a time UNTIL CHRISTMAS other son bought me a laptop stand with a fan in it. Laptop sits on it and is now fine - don't think it was expensive - he is still at Uni so doesn't have much money. If cost of replacing yours is prohibitive perhaps a repair and a stand??????

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 21:55:21 »
I made a board to sit my laptop on with a cushion underneath, it lets the air in properly.
And my lap doesn't get too hot.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 23:39:45 »
I do not use my laptop on my lap I prop it against my legs with a space underneath.  If used directly on a lap the fan works very hard and it operates on a go-slow basis.  Though it is a dell.   You can get special lap stands for laptops to allow good air circulation underneath. 

Is your fan still working? 

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:42:07 »
Thanks for your advice. 

Brilliant new as it is now fixed.  It was the Graphics card/chip on the motherboard.

I found a chap who works for himself (company: pcmIT).  He collected my laptop on Saturday and gave me a replacement to use.  He called today to sat that is was fixed and he would be keeping it for a few days just to make sure it ran okay and had no problems.

Guess how much?..... Just £30!  ;D

If anyone lives in Nottingham I am more than happy to forward his details.  Highly recommended!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal