Author Topic: what was the first single and album you bought?  (Read 6325 times)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: what was the first single and album you bought?
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2007, 09:24:18 »
First gig would have been Faust at Aderdeen Uni but they wouldn't let me in I was too young. still a fave band

first gig would have been Magma  but someone was winding up the Ents person at Teeside poly. It was a joke. would have been a hoot as they were French and sung songs in an Unknown Language. Steve Davis chose one of their songs on Desert Island Disks just to be annoying

First gig would have been Can at Middlesborough Town Hall but they cancelled because the bl**dy SWEET were playing Stockton ??? Still the best band ever

first gig was Welsh rockers Man, supported by A Band Called O ho hum

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2007, 09:37:31 »
wow Rhubabrb, you seem to have inhabited a different temporal & spacial existance from the world I recognise.

Very cool, even tho I have no idea who you're talking about   8)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2007, 09:42:05 »
I've calmed down a lot since then. Nowadays I even listen to folk music

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:34 »
First gig would have been Faust at Aderdeen Uni but they wouldn't let me in I was too young. still a fave band

first gig would have been Magma  but someone was winding up the Ents person at Teeside poly. It was a joke. would have been a hoot as they were French and sung songs in an Unknown Language. Steve Davis chose one of their songs on Desert Island Disks just to be annoying

First gig would have been Can at Middlesborough Town Hall but they cancelled because the bl**dy SWEET were playing Stockton ??? Still the best band ever

You would get on great with my 15 year old son as i haven't got clue what he's no about half the time. ??? Ya don't fancy the job as interpreter do ya?. ;) ;D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2007, 10:13:48 »

Hmm, quite a strong Krautrock tendency there - you're not a Julian Cope fan as well, are you?

Cheers,
Rob  ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2007, 10:54:09 »
not particularly robkb. he reckons "Future Days" is some kind of nadir in music, and I DON'T. The only other German band I liked was Kraftwerk, tho it took me ages to work out the point of them, that they weren't some bargain basement Tangerine Dream, but a German take on for instance The Stooges and the MC5 (respect to them)

This IS just like being a teenager! Talking complete gibberish, but at the same time being ALL EXTREMELY IMPORTANT  :D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2007, 11:37:57 »
This IS just like being a teenager! Talking complete gibberish, but at the same time being ALL EXTREMELY IMPORTANT  :D

How true! Like the very long and impossibly detailed conversation I had with my brother-in-law last night about Fairport Convention and this year's Cropredy festival - my wife said it sounded like I was speaking another language!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2007, 12:06:04 »
I nearly went to Cropredy one year, when Stackridge were playing, but my then partner absolutely refused to go, and I didn't think I could get the tent up on my own (and I didn't want to look like Billy Nomates)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2007, 13:38:57 »
yep, next was the liverpool bullring, can't remember the name, something with blue in, then elton at the liverpool empire and then wings at the same place, all downhill  ;D
we went to see showaddywaddy in leigh later on, and the grumbleweeds...!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2007, 10:14:27 »
Genesis at the Lees Cliff Hall, Folkestone - must have been nearly 200 people there :)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2007, 16:32:59 »
Fox with S..s..s..single bed.

cj :)
I loved my Fox album when we could still play vinyl discs, but have only been able to find 2 tracks on the  tinternet....S..s..single bed being one of them , and  Only you can  being the other. Now I have them on my puter, I listen to them quite often.

Much as I hate to admit it, my 1st ever single I owned was Two little boys by Rolf Harris, bought as a 12th birthday present by an aunt. I still have it somewhere though I can't play it anymore.

First proper rock gig Pink Floyd at South Parade Pier Ballroom, Southsea, for a Students Union dance,(Bl**dy Hell, how they grew after that)  although I had been to see various artist like Gene Pitney, Grapefruit and Amen Corner at The Guildhall
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 16:51:32 by quizzical1 »
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2007, 18:34:46 »
God Fox was absolutely gorgeous, on the erm voluptuous side. I bought  those singles too i'm ashamed to say. Excuse me while I have a Google

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2007, 19:05:20 »
my first gig was in Leytonstone. Joe Brown and the Bruvvers. and the lovely Billy Fury. I met Emile Ford and the checkmates at leyton baths cos he was a friend of my friends brother . I also went to see Charlie Gracie. (if anyone can remember him)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2007, 20:29:41 »
First single was Standing in the Road by Blackfoot Sue, think first album was Gilbert O'Sullivan
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2007, 22:07:37 »
Abit bizarre but Words by the Bee Gees 1st single and After the Gold Rush by Neil Young first album, yes Cohen was next!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2007, 23:15:26 »
First single, Whaddaya wanna make those eyes at me for- Emile Ford and the Checkmates. Can't remember LP. First gig Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames. ::) ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2007, 02:51:36 »
My first Theatre thing was Tommy Steele, but before that we would go to all night jazz dances. Johnny Dankworth, Cleo Laine  Humphrey Littleton.Chris Barber.

I remember seeing the Beatles, all our family went aout 15 of us, and somehow we were a ticket short, they let us in without the ticket because my niece was only 10 or so, we managed to keep swapping her onto different knees. She was on mine when they came on,she nearly broke my legs and the noise was deafening, Shirley Bassey was on the same bill, the usual  cutouts in her dresses and I remember noticing she had absolutely no waistline, smashing yellow dress though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2007, 09:35:15 »
 I forgot about Ella Fitzgerald! How could I. Not the first concert I attended, but the best by far.
Smile, it confuses people.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2007, 22:50:24 »
Memories memories, its been such fun reading this thread  ;D

First single: How can I be sure, David Cassidy

First LP: Rock On, David Essex

First concert: In 1971 I went to the Kings Hall,Belle Vue, Manchester to see the wonderful David Cassidy for the princely sum of one pound,(I still have my ticket and I still have all of my vinyl)
My father thought something terrible would happen to me at the concert and insisted on taking me to the venue in the car and waiting outside for me until the end of the show in his Ford Corsair  :-[
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 22:54:20 by honeybee »

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2007, 01:18:20 »
My first single ...Puff the magic dragon  (moaned in mum's face until she bought it for me)

My first album....Meatloaf,  Bat out of hell (first wage packet)

First gig.....Darts , in the Glasow Apollo

Now....Either Queen or Meatloaf  (my car won't start without loud music)
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal